Click here to follow the travels of:

Seminary Sally

Seminary Sasha


 

Scroll down or click
on the location
of your choice (below)

West Point, NY 
Topsfield, MA 
Sharon, VT 
Palmyra, NY 
Fayette, NY 
Kirtland, OH 
Adam-ondi-Ahman 
Liberty, MO 
Independence, MO 
Far West, MO 
Richmond, MO 
Haun's Mill, MO 
Nauvoo, IL 
Carthage, IL 
Earlville, IL 
Ottawa, IL 
Council Bluffs, IA 
Florence, NE 
Omaha, NE
 
Ashland, NE 
Leavenworth, KS 
San Diego, CA 
Salt Lake City, UT 
First Encampment 
Temple Square 
Church History 
Brigham Young Homes 
Church Headquarters 
Heritage Park 
Ogden, UT 
Coloma, CA 
San Francisco, CA 

 

Seminary
Scripture Mastery
Resources Homepage

[Seminary-Notes]
email newsletter

  


Page 9

Sam visits Seminary classes
near church history sites

 

Ogden, Utah

Seminary Sam next visited two Release Time Seminary classes at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden, Utah. Ogden is 35 miles north of Salt Lake City.

Students from Brother Jones' 1st period Seminary class are shown in the foyer of their Seminary building.

The Ben Lomond Seminary building is located across the street from the high school.

The Ogden Temple and Miles Goodyear log cabin are located near each other on Ogden's Temple Square.

A plaque near the Miles Goodyear Cabin reads:

Miles Morris Goodyear built this cabin on the lower Weber River as a way station and trading. The cabin, along with other buildings, became Fort Buenaventura meaning good venture. It was the first permanent settlement in the Utah Territory... Goodyear was a trapper, prospector and trader. His Indian wife Pomona was the daughter of Ute chief Peet-teet-neet...

Mormon Battalion Captain James Brown and Mary Black Brown bought Fort Buenaventura and all of Weber County [from Goodyear]... Mary Brown made the cabin home for her family...

Daughters of Utah Pioneers

Seminary Sam is shown posing in front of a memorial to James Brown that is located in downtown Ogden. The plaques at the base of the monument state:

Captain James Brown

Captain James Brown, pioneer, soldier and one of the founders of Ogden, enlisted in the Mormon Battalion in the U.S. Army in the Mexican War, July 16, 1846, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, and was made captain of Company C... At Santa Fe, Captain Brown was placed in charge of the sick detachment and ordered to Pueblo where they spent the winter of 1846-47 with a group of converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints enroute from Mississippi to the Salt Lake Valley.

In the spring he marched his men by way of Fort Laramie to the South Pass arriving in the Valley July 29, 1847, closely following Brigham Young and the Mormon pioneers.

Early in August he left by way of Fort Hall for California to college the Army pay due members of the Battalion. Returning late in 1847, he stopped at the fort of Miles Goodyear... From Goodyear he purchased for $3,000 all of the land now comprising Weber County together with some livestock and the fort.

The land was conveyed to Captain Brown in a Mexican land grant, this entire area being at that time a part of Mexico.

In January, 1848, he settled here with his family and began the colonization of Brownsville, later Ogden. He was born September 30, 1801, and died September 30, 1863.

A Pioneer Museum is located on the west side of Ogden's Temple Square.

Seminary Sam is shown (above) with several authentic pieces of pioneer farm equipment (that are located on the grounds of the Ogden Pioneer Museum).

The building that currently houses the Ogden Pioneer Museum has an interesting history, as the plaque near the front entrance attests:

Dedicated to the First Stake Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Organized by President Brigham Young July 19, 1877, Jane Snyder Richards, President.

This building is the first and only Relief Society Stake Hall in the church. It was built by the women of Weber County...

Seminary Sam and Marie Alford are shown in front of a monument dedicated to Lorin Farr, one of Ogden's most prominent citizens.  The first plaque reads:

Lorin Farr, civic and religious leader, staunch friend and supporter of the Prophet Joseph Smith, assisted in the settlement of Nauvoo, Illinois, and in building the temple.

He came to Utah with Brigham Young in 1847. In January, 1851, he became the first president of the Weber Stake of Zion, serving until 1870. He directed the building of Ogden Tabernacle in 1855-56. He was a member of the first territorial legislature for thirty years, serving longer than any other member and was a member of the convention that framed the constitution of the State of Utah.

A friend to the Indians, he was known among them as "Chief." The move south upon the approach of Johnson's Army in 1858, was conducted under his direction.

He was a statesman and colonizer of great ability. Historian Edward Tullidge proclaimed him "Ogden's most representative citizen."

The second plaque reads:

Lorin Farr, Utah pioneer of 1847, one of the founders of Ogden, established Farr's Fort in 1850, assisted in laying out the city and organized its first government. In 1851, he became the first mayor, serving twenty-two years, twenty years without pay. The deed to Ogden was made by Ulysses S. Grant, President of the United States, to Lorin Farr, as mayor.

He built Weber County's first sawmill and grist-mill (1850) and with others built the first woolen factory in northern Utah (1868). In 1857, with Newton Goodal and others, he built the first road through Ogden Canyon. Under his direction Weber County was surveyed and irrigation canals and roads were built. He was a leading contractor on the Central Pacific Railroad west from Ogden to Promontory.
 

Seminary Sam takes a break at Farr's Ice Cream to enjoy a triple thick milkshake.

Thomas B. Marsh, who as his grave marker (above) notes, was the "first President of the Council of Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." He died in Ogden in 1866 and is buried in the Ogden City Cemetery.

For a brief period of about 18 months, Pony Express riders rode down Weber Canyon and through Ogden, but for most of its history, Ogden has been a "railroad town."

The picture Sam is standing by shows an 1860's wagon train preparing to enter the Ogden valley.

The railroad passed through Weber Canyon on its way to Promontory Point where the Union and Central Pacific lines were joined on May 10, 1869 (an actual photograph from that event is shown above). Many members of the church helped build the Utah portion of the transcontinental railroad.

Ben Lomond High School Seminary students wish Sam good luck as he leaves Utah and heads back to California.

Top

  Seminary Sam's journeys are continued on page 10.

Top

Click here to follow Seminary Sally's travels

Click here to follow Seminary Sasha's travels

Copyright 2003, by Kenneth L. Alford. All rights reserved.